HOW TO APPLY FOR A HELB LOAN AS A FIRST TIME APPLICANT
UNDERGRADUATE LOAN (DIRECT ENTRY STUDENTS)
These loans are for students pursuing their studies in Public or Chartered Private Universities within the East African Community, placed either through the Kenya Universities and Colleges Central Placement Service (KUCCPS), Self-sponsored, Parallel and Module II Students studying for a Bachelor’s Degree only. Pre-University, Certificate, Diploma or Postgraduate students are not eligible to apply for this loan. The loan attracts interest of 4% and Kshs. 1,000 ledger per year. Students are advised to apply for the loan at least one month before the opening date to allow ample time for processing.
Type of Loan Application
There are two types of undergraduate loan applications:
- First Time Application-This is for applicants who are applying for the first time.
- Second & Subsequent Application-This is for applicants who are applying for the second, third, fourth time as per the program duration
Note: The number of loans one is eligible for depends on the program duration. For example, one is given loan 4 times for a 4-year program or 5 times for a 5-year programme
How to apply for a HELB Loan as a First Time Applicant:
- Visit our website www.helb.co.ke to access the Student Portal and click on “create an account” to register.
- Once the account is created, log in and select the appropriate Undergraduate First Time Loan Application Form [LAF].
- Read the literature or view the videos on Financial Literacy and participate in the brief exercise online.
- Access and fill the loan application form.
- Print TWO copies of the duly filled Loan Application Form [Mandatory]
- Have the forms appropriately filled, signed, and stamped by the relevant authorities.
- Attach all the documents as per the checklist and present one copy of the duly filled Loan Application Form at:
- Any of the following Huduma centers nearest to you: Bomet, Bungoma, Chuka, Eldoret, Embu, Garissa, Nairobi GPO, Kakamega, Kericho, Kilifi, Kisii, Kisumu, Kitale, Kitui, Lodwar, Machakos, Makueni, Meru, Migori, Mombasa, Murang’a, Nakuru, Nandi Narok, Nyeri, Taita Taveta, Thika and West Pokot for free and secure delivery; or
- HELB Student Service Centre on Mezzanine 1, Anniversary Towers, University Way, Nairobi
- Retain a complete copy of the Loan Application Form [This is mandatory]
- Please ensure that you read, understand, and follow the instructions provided at the beginning of the online loan application process including reading and undertaking the HELB Financial Literacy Programme.
- It is recommended that students prudently manage their HELB loans once disbursed to cater for Tuition, books, stationery, accommodation, and subsistence.
- A copy of the Applicant’s national ID Card
- Copies of the parents’ National ID Cards/death certificate where the parent is deceased
- Copies of both guarantors’ National ID Card
- A copy of the applicant’s admission letter and KCSE result slip/certificate
- A copy of the applicant’s Bank ATM/Bank card (for Government sponsored students only)
- A copy of the applicant’s Smart Card from the institution
- One recent colored passport size photograph of the applicant.
How to apply on the HELB App as a second and Subsequent applicant
- Applicants should visit Google play store and download the HELB Mobile Application. https://studentportal.helb.co.ke/auth/signin ; https://www.helb.co.ke/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/HELB-Student-Details-Change-Request-Form-RF-1-2019-002.pdf; https://www.helb.co.ke/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/HELB-ENQUIRY-FORM-EF12018.pdf or
- Register your details https://studentportal.helb.co.ke/auth/signup (First name, Phone, Email Address, National ID and KRA PIN number) on the HELB App to generate a PIN which you will use to log in and accept the license agreement. Ensure that you use the Safaricom number that you use for Mpesa transactions and it should be registered in your name
- Read the mandatory Financial literacy notes and undertake a brief Question & Answer to appreciate the purpose of credit. Scroll down to view results then click “proceed”.
- Click on loans then select undergraduate loans to get the Undergraduate Subsequent Loan Application Form [LAF].
- Follow each step to fill in the required details and submit. A pop-up message will appear to show that you have successfully applied. The loan serial number will also be displayed
NB: You will be required to pay Kshs. 1 from your MPESA account during the application process to verify your telephone number. Please note, the application is paperless hence no printing.
- Students that are not Safaricom subscribers will be directed to the Portal and apply using the application form, after which they will be required to print and submit the form to the HELB Student Service Centre on Mezzanine 1 Floor at Anniversary Towers
Please ensure that you read, understand, and follow the instructions provided at the beginning of the process